When it comes to decorating a bathroom, peel and stick wallpaper may seem like an easy and stylish option.
However, you might be wondering if it's a suitable choice for a room that experiences constant humidity and moisture.
In this comprehensive guide, we will discuss whether you can use peel and stick wallpaper in a bathroom, how to select the right type of wallpaper, and how to install it for lasting results.
In a rush? Here is a quick summary of the whole article:
- Yes, you can use peel and stick wallpaper in a bathroom, but you need to choose the right type and follow proper installation techniques.
- Opt for 100% vinyl wallpaper or treated paper wallpaper.
- Properly prepare the wall surface and manage humidity in the room.
Can Peel and Stick Wallpaper Be Used in a Bathroom?
While many people may be concerned about using wallpaper in a bathroom, it is possible to do so with the right approach.
Peel and stick wallpaper can be used in a bathroom, provided you choose the correct type and adhere to proper installation methods.
Selecting the Right Type of Wallpaper
For a bathroom, you should consider using either treated paper wallpaper or 100-percent vinyl wallpaper.
These materials are more resistant to humidity and moisture, making them a suitable choice for bathroom environments.
Treated Paper Wallpaper
Traditional paper wallpaper is available in a wide range of designs and patterns.
Although it is more prone to water damage than vinyl options, you can protect it by treating its surface with a flat or satin decorator's varnish after installation.
This will help seal the paper without changing its appearance.
Make sure to seal all edges to prevent water from seeping in through the back.
100% Vinyl Wallpaper
Peel-and-stick vinyl wallpaper is an excellent choice for bathrooms due to its water-resistant properties.
With no paper content to degrade or develop mold, this type of wallpaper is ideal for high-moisture environments like full baths.
Additionally, the low-tack self-adhesive backing makes it easy to remove when needed.
Ensure that the product you choose is pure vinyl, as some wallcoverings may only be vinyl-coated paper.
Preparing the Wall Surface
Properly preparing the wall surface is crucial for a successful peel and stick wallpaper installation in your bathroom.
Begin with a smooth, clean, and flat surface.
Avoid applying the wallpaper to porous or textured walls, unpainted drywall or plaster, or high-gloss paint.
It's important to manage humidity in the bathroom to prevent damage to the wallpaper.
Some ways to control humidity include:
- Installing a high-velocity bathroom exhaust fan
- Installing a built-in infrared heater in the ceiling
- Wiring the fan and light switch in tandem to automatically turn on the fan when the bathroom is in use
- Using a dehumidifier
Always use a qualified professional for any jobs involving electricity.
Installation Tips for Peel and Stick Wallpaper in a Bathroom
Follow these steps to ensure a successful peel and stick wallpaper installation in your bathroom:
100% Vinyl Wallpaper (option 1)
Water-resistant and ideal for high-moisture environments
Treated Paper Wallpaper (option 2)
Can be protected with a flat or satin decorator's varnish to make it more resistant to water
Decorator's Varnish (needed for option 2)
Seals treated paper wallpaper to make it more resistant to humidity and moisture
Bathroom Exhaust Fan (optional)
Helps manage humidity in the bathroom to prevent wallpaper damage
Infrared Heater (optional)
Assists in controlling humidity in the bathroom
Helps maintain optimal humidity levels in the bathroom
Accurately measure wall dimensions and wallpaper size
Cut and trim the wallpaper to the desired size
Straight Edge or Ruler
Ensure straight cuts when trimming the wallpaper
Smoothing Tool or squeegee
Clear Silicone Caulk
Smooth out air bubbles and wrinkles during installation
prevent water from seeping in
- Measure and cut: Measure the wall and cut the wallpaper according to the dimensions. Allow for a little extra on each end for trimming.
- Clean the wall: Make sure the wall is clean and free of dust or debris. Wipe it down with a damp cloth and let it dry completely.
- Peel the backing: Carefully peel the backing off the wallpaper, exposing the adhesive.
- Apply the wallpaper: Starting at the top of the wall, align the edge of the wallpaper with the wall's edge. Press the wallpaper onto the wall, smoothing it out as you go. Use a wallpaper smoother or a squeegee to remove air bubbles and creases.
- Trim the edges: Use a sharp utility knife to trim any excess wallpaper at the top and bottom of the wall.
- Seal the edges: Apply a clear silicone caulk along the edges where the wallpaper meets the baseboards or other surfaces to prevent water from seeping in.
Frequently Asked Questions Section (FAQ)
Q: Can peel and stick wallpaper be used in a shower or bathtub area?
A: It's best to avoid using peel and stick wallpaper in direct contact with water, such as inside a shower or bathtub area.
Instead, consider using ceramic tiles or another waterproof material in these spaces.
Q: How do I clean peel and stick wallpaper in a bathroom?
A: To clean your peel and stick wallpaper, gently wipe it with a damp cloth or sponge using mild soap and water.
Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaning tools, as these can damage the wallpaper's surface.
Q: How long does peel and stick wallpaper last in a bathroom?
A: The longevity of peel and stick wallpaper in a bathroom depends on the quality of the product, proper installation, and how well you maintain it.
On average, peel and stick wallpaper can last for several years if properly cared for and installed.
Q: Can I use peel and stick wallpaper on textured walls?
A: It's best to avoid applying peel and stick wallpaper to textured walls, as the adhesive may not adhere properly, and the texture could show through the wallpaper.
Instead, apply wallpaper to smooth, clean, and flat surfaces for optimal results.
Yes, you can use peel and stick wallpaper in a bathroom, as long as you select the right type of wallpaper, properly prepare the wall surface, and manage humidity in the room.
By following these guidelines and installation tips, you can achieve a stylish and durable result that will last for years to come.
With a vast array of designs and patterns available, peel and stick wallpaper can transform your bathroom into a beautiful and inviting space.