Hello there! Bob Thomas here. Having spent years in the painting and decorating trade, I've had the opportunity to work with a variety of paint brands.
Today, I'll be sharing my experiences with two popular brands: Benjamin Moore and Glidden.
Whether you're a DIY enthusiast or a seasoned pro, this comparison should help you make an informed decision for your next project.
Choosing between Benjamin Moore and Glidden paint is a matter of preference: 1) If you're looking for a wide array of color options and high-quality finish, Benjamin Moore is your pick. 2) For a more budget-friendly choice without compromising on quality, Glidden fits the bill. 3) Both brands offer paints suitable for different surfaces and conditions. Remember, the best paint for you depends on your project, budget, and personal preference.
Quality and Performance
When it comes to quality, Benjamin Moore stands tall.
Their paint is known for excellent coverage, durability, and the finish it provides is simply fantastic.
On the other hand, Glidden delivers a solid performance, too.
The coverage might not be as superb as Benjamin Moore, but it holds up well over time.
Pro Tip: A high-quality primer can boost the coverage and durability of any paint. For Benjamin Moore, their Fresh Start Primer is an excellent choice, while Glidden's Gripper Primer does the job well for Glidden paints.
Benjamin Moore takes the cake in the color options department.
With thousands of colors to choose from, you're bound to find the perfect shade for your project.
Glidden, while offering a decent palette, doesn't quite match up to the variety that Benjamin Moore provides.
Glidden shines in the affordability category. If you're on a budget but still want a decent quality paint, Glidden is a great choice.
Benjamin Moore is a bit pricier, but the cost comes with superior quality.
Benjamin Moore is primarily sold in independent stores, while Glidden is widely available in big-box stores like Home Depot.
Pro Tip: Always check for sales or discounts at your local paint stores. This can make higher-end brands like Benjamin Moore more affordable.
I remember working on a living room makeover years ago. The client was keen on a specific shade of blue that we found in Benjamin Moore's catalogue.
The paint was a dream to work with – it went on smoothly and the finish was simply stunning.
On another occasion, I used Glidden for a budget-conscious client's bedroom project.
We were both pleasantly surprised with the quality given the price point.
It took an extra coat for the perfect coverage, but the end result was lovely.
Frequently Asked Questions Section (FAQs)
Q. Why is Benjamin Moore paint considered more premium than Glidden paint?
A: While both Benjamin Moore and Glidden offer high-quality paints, Benjamin Moore is often regarded as a premium brand due to its extensive color palette, superior durability, and high-quality ingredients.
Benjamin Moore paints tend to have better coverage, allowing for fewer coats, which can make a big difference in the final appearance of your paint job.
Q. Is Glidden paint a good choice for budget-conscious homeowners?
A: Absolutely! Glidden paint is a great choice for those on a budget.
While it may require an extra coat or two compared to premium brands like Benjamin Moore, Glidden offers a good balance of price and quality.
Plus, it's widely available in many home improvement and retail stores, making it a convenient choice.
Q. Which brand offers more color options, Benjamin Moore or Glidden?
A: Benjamin Moore offers an extensive color palette with over 3,500 colors.
This allows for a wide range of options when choosing the perfect shade for your home.
Glidden, on the other hand, offers a more limited range but still has a solid variety of choices that can suit most homeowners' needs.
Q. Does either brand offer eco-friendly options?
A: Yes, both Benjamin Moore and Glidden offer eco-friendly paint options.
Benjamin Moore's Natura line is certified asthma and allergy friendly, and it has zero VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), making it a safe choice for those looking for eco-friendly options.
Glidden also offers a low-VOC line of paints, demonstrating its commitment to environmentally friendly practices.
Q. Can I use Glidden paint over a wall previously painted with Benjamin Moore?
A: Yes, you can use Glidden paint over a wall previously painted with Benjamin Moore, or vice versa.
Just ensure that the surface is clean and properly prepped.
If the existing paint is glossy, you may need to lightly sand the surface for better adhesion.
Q. Which brand's paint is more durable and long-lasting?
A: Both brands produce durable, long-lasting paints, but Benjamin Moore often gets the edge in reviews when it comes to durability and resistance to wear and tear.
Its Regal Select line, for instance, is renowned for its long-lasting finish.
However, it's essential to remember that the longevity of your paint job also relies heavily on proper preparation and application.
Q. Do both brands offer primer and other painting supplies?
A: Yes, both Benjamin Moore and Glidden offer a full line of painting supplies, including primers, brushes, and other painting tools.
Your choice between the two often comes down to personal preference, budget, and specific project needs.
Choosing between Benjamin Moore and Glidden comes down to what you value most – a wider color palette and top-notch quality, or affordability and easy availability.
Both brands have their strengths and are worth considering for your next painting project.
Remember, preparation is key no matter what paint you choose, so take your time to properly prep your surfaces before you start.
- Regal Select Interior Paint: This is a top-tier paint line known for its excellent coverage, durability, and finish. It's a user-friendly paint, with easy application and clean-up, and is available in a wide range of colors and finishes. It's also resistant to mildew, even in humid conditions, making it a great choice for bathrooms and kitchens.
- Aura Exterior Paint: Offering superior durability and resistance to weather conditions, Aura is an excellent choice for exterior painting projects. It's a high-quality paint that provides excellent color retention and resistance to fading. It's available in thousands of colors and multiple finishes, including flat, low luster, satin, and semi-gloss.
- Ben Interior Paint: A cost-effective option from Benjamin Moore, Ben Interior Paint is a good choice for homeowners who want Benjamin Moore quality without the premium price tag. Despite being a more budget-friendly option, this paint provides excellent coverage and is available in a variety of finishes and colors.
- Glidden Premium Interior Paint + Primer: This is a high-quality, affordable paint option from Glidden. It offers excellent hide and coverage, and is a paint and primer in one, which can save time during the painting process. It's also highly durable and available in a variety of finishes.
- Glidden Essentials Interior Paint: A budget-friendly option, Glidden Essentials offers good coverage and a wide range of color options. While it might require more coats than premium options, it is a cost-effective choice for less trafficked areas of your home.
- Glidden Duo Paint + Primer: This exterior paint line is noted for its excellent coverage and durability. Like its interior counterpart, it is also a paint and primer in one. It's resistant to fading and can withstand varying weather conditions, making it a good choice for exterior painting projects.